If you search “interior design blog,” the results skew heavily toward blogs intended for amateur design enthusiasts and DIY hopefuls rather than content for professional interior designers. But there are a handful of interior blogs that professionals should bookmark and read regularly to stay informed about what's happening in the big leagues. While of course we recommend the Design Manager blog as for your first stop for all things related to the business of interior design, we’ve also curated this list of eight other interior design blogs you should be following in 2022 and heading toward 2023:
- Dezeen: A stellar news source for everything related to high-profile architecture and interior design projects around the world, always with stellar photography of the story subjects. For example, recent stories include a feature on Acne Studios’ new Paris' Rue Saint Honoré store designed in collaboration with Arquitectura-G and The Londoner Hotel, a new five-star hub in Leicester Square by Yabu Pushelberg. Dezeen also has a job posting board that only features listings at blue-chip design studios.
- Designboom: In addition to the latest in design news with photography equal to that of Dezeen, Designboom also includes extensive video content. As a practical resource, Designboom has a user-friendly product library as well as a shop feature, making it highly bookmark-worthy.
- Business of Home: Also known as BOH, this blog is geared specifically to professional interior designers and decorators who rarely dabble outside of “trade-only” circles. Their coverage skews toward the business side of the industry, announcing strategy shifts and personnel movement at top design studios as well as thoroughly informative deep dives on business-focused topics that interior designers need to know. BOH also includes a compilation of curated design collections and a high-quality job board.
- Design Milk: This blog also offers top-notch coverage of happenings within the design community, but Design Milk’s edge is its shop, which offers a full menu of modern furniture and design products. Think Design Within Reach with a larger selection of eclectic pieces, such as the Hot Seat from Bend Goods and the Iso Rug from Puik Design.
- Clever by Architectural Digest: Clever has a nice mix of posts covering topics like projects with unique parameters, quirky products, and design hacks that professional interior designers will appreciate. Because even the best of the best need to channel their inner Macgyver sometimes.
- Style by Emily Henderson: Emily Henderson’s blog achieves the rare feat of appealing to both professional interior designers and the DIY enthusiasts. She is an accomplished interior architect and decorator who shows off the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of her process and how they become perfectly composed interiors. She also includes practical design advice and lifestyle content that reinforce her brand perfectly.
- Eyeswoon: Athena Calderone’s blog is a perfectly curated place for finding design inspiration and off-the-beaten-path products for professionals — and even recipes, and fashion and beauty tips that compliment her distinct aesthetic. She often incorporates professional videography and photography in her posts. It’s basically a design-heavy lifestyle blog that even the top interior designers find aspirational.
- Becki Owens: Becki Owens sure knows how to use the digital world to generate revenue. While her blog features plenty of traditional posts showing off her work or delving into design trends, the first thing you’ll notice are her shoppable mood board posts, which look like Pinterest boards from which you can simply click and be directed to the product’s shoppable link. In addition to bringing attention to her own portfolio of work and product shop, she is earning money from partnering with other companies via affiliate links. Check out her blog to learn a thing or two from her business prowess.
Time is money as a professional interior designer — and you won’t regret investing your reading time in these eight interior design blogs to keep your creativity and business acumen in tip-top shape. Well, nine interior design blogs when you include the Design Manager blog, your go-to resource for all things related to the business of interior design!
Follow us on Instagram to catch all of our frequently posted content created specifically for professional interior designers.